Sandwiches are the ultimate food to take on the go. They don’t take much time to prepare and, depending on the ingredients, can fill you up for a few hours.
I was preparing this sandwich today and I realised that the ingredient names also fit the BLT acronym.
Traditionally, BLT stands for bacon lettuce and tomato. Everyone knows this sandwich as it’s one of the “classics”. Since I’m a veggie, the BLTs I prepare won’t have any bacon. Other vegan BLTs would have a bacon substitute like tempeh or tofu. The downside is this sandwich lacks that protein component. However, it is filling enough for a day of light activity.
Even if this BLT is light, it’s still quite flavourful. The slight sourness comes from the sundried tomato and the saltiness comes from the pesto.
- 2 whole grain bread slices
- Sundried tomatoes
- Basil pesto (blend basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, olive oil)
- Optional: Eta corn chips with quinoa and chia
- Toast the bread slices.
- Lightly spread the basil pesto on one of the slices.
- Top the slice with lettuce and sundried tomatoes.
- Place the other slice to form the sandwich.
- Optional: Place some corn chips on the side.